a sentimental longing or wistful affection for a period in the past.
synonyms: wistfulness, longing/yearning/pining for the past, regret, sentimentality
– Teaching is such a strange thing. It feels very natural until you remember a group of students are listening to you and trusting every word you say. And then you have a moment of ‘I don’t know what I’m doing’ but then you realise it is really fun and you’re over-thinking it.
– Gone Girl is a very weird film, so of course, I loved it. Gritty, bloody, mind boggling. And 2 and a half hours long. Go see it though, don’t let that put you off. If you like a bit of a darker thriller, this is the film for you.
– Excel has become my best friend. I literally spend hours on end putting in data on spreadsheets at work. I weirdly enjoy it, but my eyes hurt afterwards.
– I keep wanting to take pictures of the sky. Last night I was greeted with a beautiful, purple sunset. This morning the sky was golden. How poetic. But it is true, and I got a thoughtful on my walk to work because of it.
– I’m not as unfit as I thought. I finally went to the gym tonight and I was so excited because I love working out, but because I’d always been poor I could never afford gym membership. I also learnt music didn’t drive me as much as I thought. When I go running round the block, music always kept me running, but at the gym I just kept going no matter what music was playing. It was just fun without the distraction, and I’m feeling really motivated now. I hope it lasts.
– I’m still going to eat yummy food though. I’m not so motivated that I’ll be changing my diet much…. At all… I will probably eat more if I’m honest.
– I truly am a last minute packer. I’m going to Cardiff tomorrow morning. Haven’t even started packing.
My first week at work has been so rewarding already, and I’m a little bit in love with my job. I knew I would enjoy it – I’ve always loved working with children and teaching in general – but I didn’t realise how much I would adore helping the students in their lessons. Maths and English have really been the highlight for me so far; I’ve had a chance to revisit some maths and help people through a subject that can often bring quite a negative response. I’ve also been helping lots of students with their reading skills, and today was incredible as I feel like I really made a difference and got people excited about their books. I’ve only been their 5 days but the students and staff have made me feel so welcome and happy, that I’m already looking forward to Monday to do it all again.
I have to stay pretty confidential about my job due to the nature of it, so I won’t go much further than saying that this is seriously making think about a career in teaching more than ever before. I’ve been incredibly lucky to get this job, and to work with students who really have made me so proud even after 5 days. I’m going to get a bit attached to this little job, I think…
It is flippin’ tiring though; thank goodness for weekends off!